Thanks to File 770 for these bits of news
- World Con 75 videos
- Brad Walsh, the new companion to the Doctor?
- Australian city names streets after GoT characters
- Actor Jay Thomas (1948-2017) died August 24.
- Torchwood: Aliens Among Us Trailer
1. Couldn’t go to World Con in Helsinki? Or, like me, couldn’t get into the room? First shock of the con was not being able to watch the opening ceremony because the room only held a couple of hundred! It seems the opening ceremony, the masquerade, and several main event panels are on YouTube. But no Hugo ceremony? How did that get missed? https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT_U7RhKFr-If4pusZY6g8A/videos
2. I have not yet seen confirmation, but some news sources are reporting that Brad Walsh is the new companion for the Doctor.
3. A street too far?
The developer of Charlemont Rise at Geelong in Victoria said he had been forced to change the name of Lannaster Road because of the link to the incestuous Lannister siblings from Game of Thrones.
“The name was knocked back by the developers next door because of the relationship between the Lannister brother and sister on the show,” said the project manager, Gary Smith. “I even changed the spelling to make it not as obvious.” Lannaster Road will henceforth be known as Precinct Road.
There have been no complaints about the other street names in the estate, more than a dozen of which were inspired by the show, Smith said. Among the names are Stannis, Winterfell, Greyjoy, Baelish and Tywin.
The most popular, however, is Snow Street – named after the fan-favourite Jon Snow. “The only big mistake we’ve made was naming a small street Snow Street. We thought Jon Snow was going to be dead but then he came back to life in the next season,” Smith said. “He’s everybody’s favourite – we should’ve given him a large avenue.”
4. Actor Jay Thomas (1948-2017) died August 24.His genre work included 20 episodes of Mork and Mindy, 6 episodes of Hercules, voicing an episode of Batman: The Animated Series, and The Santa Clause 2 and 3.