- Happy news from our youngest MonSFFAan, Isis
- Fanzine to share: Download Fornax. I found it interesting, once I got past the politics.
- Titan’s new comic series: The Prisoner
- CSFFA (Aurora Awards) launches new site
- The dogs of SFF
- Happy news from our youngest MonSFFAan, Isis: Proud Grandma writes: Just thought I would pass on the great news that one of our own (and youngest?) MonSFFA Members, through a gruelling competition has been selected to move forward to international talent competition in Las Vegas.
Isis has grown up with MonSFFA and wanted to share this good news with you.
Long story short, Isis took it upon herself to sign up online to audition for Undiscovered Talent Group (Modelling, acting, singing, dancing, etc). She passed the first selection and was sponsored to attend their workshop/training. Two weeks later she was in a competition where there were agents from LA, NY, Toronto and… I can’t remember. She had to get at least three out of four of the agents votes to move forward to the international competition in Las Vegas. They only select a few as room is limited and their reputation is on the line to send only those who they think will do well. Adults and children are selected. Out of all the children (and there were quite a few from Montreal and Ottawa), it appears that only 3 were chosen – one of them being Isis! I thought because of her height they would chose Modelling for her, but I was surprised (and secretly very pleased) that they found her strength was in … Acting!
With a little luck Katreina and I will be able to raise the money in time to send her in July. We are determined!
Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
2. Fanzine to share: Download Fornax. I found it interesting, once I got past the politics.
3. PRISONER COMICS. First shown on Canadian and UK TV screens in 1967, The Prisoner was co-created, written, directed and starred Patrick McGoohan (Scanners, Braveheart). Titan’s new comic series is released for the 50th Anniversary of the first US broadcast in 1968.
Titan Comics are excited to announce that they are partnering with print and poster house Vice Press to create a Diamond UK exclusive cover for The Prisoner Issue #1. This first-ever Vice Press exclusive cover for The Prisoner Issue #1 – designed by Star Wars movie concept artist, Chris Weston – is based on his original silk-screen poster created for Vice Press to mark the 50th Anniversary of The Prisoner hitting US TV screens.
4. CSFFA (Aurora Awards) launches new site: The site has had a major facelift. While there is still some work in progress, the site looks sleek and easy to navigate. I will be testing it shortly. Have a look.
5. The dogs of SFF: There was a presentation at World Con in Helsinki on the subject of dogs in SF. The presenter was discouraged to find how very few dogs were portrayed in SF, and when they did appear, they were often subjects of inhumane military type experiments. OTOH, there are lots of dogs in fantasy. This oddity, which seems to imply that humanity’s best friend is not destined to follow us into space but will happily trot after us into Oz, is very apparent in this list which I found on the Wertzone.