The Sunburst Award for Excellence in Canadian Literature of the Fantastic is an annual award celebrating the best in Canadian fantastika published during the previous calendar year. Winners receive a medallion that incorporates the Sunburst logo. Winners of both the Adult and Young Adult Sunburst Award also receive a cash prize of $1,000, while winners of the Short Story Sunburst Award receive a cash prize of $500.
We are proud to announce the longlists for the 2017 SUNBURST AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE IN CANADIAN LITERATURE OF THE FANTASTIC.
Toronto, Ontario (May 29, 2017): The Sunburst Award Committee is pleased to announce the 2017 longlist for the Sunburst Award for Excellence in Canadian Literature of the Fantastic. This year’s lists are comprised of a mixture of established authors, talented newcomers, and several past nominees.
Below are the works longlisted by the jury, with links to their publishers, books and stories (where possible).
- ADULT FICTION:
- Gail Anderson-Dargatz, The Spawning Grounds [Knopf Canada]
- Madeline Ashby, Company Town [Tor Books]
- Jay Hosking, Three Years With the Rat [Hamish Hamilton]
- Claire Humphrey, Spells of Blood and Kin [Thomas Dunne Books]
- Ami McKay, The Witches of New York [Knopf Canada]
- Silvia Moreno-Garcia, Certain Dark Things [Thomas Dunne Books]
- Sylvain Neuvel, Sleeping Giants [Del Rey]
- Jerome Stueart, The Angels of Our Better Beasts [ChiZine]
- Jo Walton, Necessity [Tor Books]
- Robert Charles Wilson, Last Year [Tor Books]
- YOUNG ADULT FICTION:
- Jonathan Auxier, Sophie Quire and the Last Storyguard [Puffin Canada]
- Karen Bass, The Hill [Pajama Press]
- Kate Blair, Transferral [Dancing Cat Books]
- Lena Coakley, Worlds of Ink and Shadow [HarperCollins]
- Marina Cohen, The Inn Between [Roaring Brook Press]
- Catherine Egan, Julia Vanishes [Doubleday Canada]
- Ian Donald Keeling, The Skids [ChiTeen]
- Arthur Slade, Flickers [HarperCollins]
- Jeff Szpirglas, Sheldon Unger vs The Dentures of Doom [Star Crossed Press]
- Moira Young, The Road to Ever After [Doubleday Canada]
- SHORT STORY:
- Brad C. Anderson, “Naïve Gods” [Lazarus Risen, Bundoran Press]
- K.T. Bryski, “La Corriveau” [Strange Horizons, October 2016]
- James Alan Gardner, “The Dog and the Sleepwalker” [Strangers Among Us, Laksa Media Groups Inc.]
- Kate Heartfield, “The Seven O’Clock Man” [Clockwork Canada: Steampunk Fiction, Exile Editions]
- Rich Larson, “All That Robot…” [Asimov’s, September 2016]
- Helen Marshall, “Caro in Carno” [The Mammoth Book of Cthulhu: New Lovecraftian Fiction, Constable-Robinson (UK)/Running Press (US)]
- Michael Matheson, “Until There is Only Hunger” [Upside Down: Inverted Tropes in Storytelling, Apex]
- Peter Norman, “The Night Stylist” [Pulp Literature, Issue 12]
- Kelly Robson, “The Eye of The Swan” [Tor.com, October 2016]
- Madeleine Thien, “The Second Waltz” [Catapult, June 2016]
- A.C. Wise, “The Men from Narrow Houses” [Liminal Stories, #1]
- A.C. Wise, “The Sailing of the Henry Charles Morgan in Six Pieces of Scrimshaw (1841)” [The Dark, #14]
The Sunburst Award official shortlist will be announced in late June. Sunburst Award winners will be announced in Fall 2017.
The jurors for the 2017 award are Nancy Baker, Michel Basilières, Rebecca Bradley, Dominick Grace, and Sean Moreland.